WHEN
...is it too early to do Christmas? -I mean, the decorations, music, smell-goods, etc. All the stores have started! Austin and I went to Day's Market last week... Not only do they have a perfect fireplace scene - lit and decorated with stockings and decorations - all RIGHT when you walk in (you know, across from the free-because-it's-so-late-and-we're-just-going-to-throw-these-away donuts), they're also playing some good Christmas music. I mean, classics. Good. No gloomy, distressing Blue Christmas sung by an "All American" yet, dispirited country singer. And, for the record, I like my fair share of country music.
So, anyway. We were there to grocery shop, go to the bank (the only America First CU in Heber Valley is inside Day's Market. I love Day's. I also love drive-throughs...), and buy Thanksgiving goodies. How can I focus on Thanksgiving when Jingle Bell ROCK is playing over the loud speakers?
So, thus begins my annual emotional yule-tide strife. I mean, this begins the first time I smell cinnamon after each Christmas holiday ends ...so, I'm always struggling. I know Christmas is SO great because you don't always have it. The anticipation makes it all the more exciting.
Last year, I started Christmas music before Halloween. I completely neglected the Monster Mash. WHA- overboard. I'll admit it... I got burnt out. Is that awful?
So, THIS year, I just barely started Christmas music (thanks, Day's...) and I only started decorating because I made a new wreath and didn't want to ruin it - so I just hung it up. We didn't have a wreath up, anyway. So, its not like I was replacing anything else...
I want to TRY to hold back (the rest of) my decorating until after Thanksgiving, but I see Christmas decorations cluttering peoples' yards all over town! (Note: I've never been a fan of the blow-up yard decorations. Not since I was 4, anyway.) So, is it ridiculous if I start with the indoor decorations before Thanksgiving? I want to get good use out of them and Thanksgiving doesn't really have good decorations anyway. Fall is basically over and I don't really like turkeys all that much. I'm pumpkin decoration-ed out (-unless I can pull off a pumpkin with a Santa hat! CUTE! Too much? Yeah.) And cornucopias?! Please...
All I can say for my Christmas music this year is: variety. I need more. How can I brainwash Austin into thinking the same? I mean, I love the Biebs Christmas album from 2011. And really only because that was before his pre-embarrassing-disgustingly-gangly-punk phase, which continues to thrive. So unfortunate.
I do like my "Indie Christmas" pandora station. ha! I felt so dumb typing that. meh. I don't care. It has some good (and the occasional terrible) stuff. I love the classics. I have my "Very Special Christmas" volumes. Essential. I mentioned Charlie Brown Christmas to Austin the other day and had to listen to him rant about the "most depressing Christmas song." So, I guess that's a no-go.
I mean, growing up, we would station the 6-disc-changer stereo system in the centrally-located living room, playing festive tunes non-stop on the daily. Assuming that's normal and appreciated by all humans possessing a heart, I'm gonna need some more music... and a stereo.
Conclusion: Christmas is starting as soon as I muster up the courage to climb to the top of our storage boxes, retrieve all (number of which, I choose not to disclose) the Christmas boxes, and bring them down myself. We all know Austin won't be helping until a day he sees fit to decorate. Does that day look like it's fast-approaching? No.
And there you have it.
No comments:
Post a Comment