Thursday, April 17, 2014

I've got it good

I want to become a better cook. I like using new foods & spices. I like baking. I feel like I'm a better "baker" that "cook." But, I'd like to get more creative.

I want to start gardening... but I have no land for a garden. I need to figure out what (useful plants) I can grow inside.

I want to get back in shape. The more I say it, the more embarrassed I am that I'm (still) not in good shape.

I want a house. I love where we live. The apartment is great. We really like our landlords. But, I want a space that's ours... for however long we want it to be ours. Maybe forever!

I want to have a baby to call my own. I want a reason to stay up late, get up early, and stock my house with fuzzy blankets. I want to spend all my time caring for my very own child. I want Austin and myself to witness the miracle. I want a little one to make us a not-quite-so-little family. I want two eyes looking at Austin. I want two little hands reaching for mom and dad. I want Doug to have someone to protect and look over. I don't know why things are the way they are...

BUT,

I'm so grateful I have Austin. He's incredible. So fun, creative, loving, patient, thoughtful, hardworking, and pretty cute, too. He's home to me. With him, I'm the most comfortable I could ever be. He makes me so much better. He smoothes out my flaws and highlights my talents. He makes me feel so good on my worst days. I'm so glad I get to laugh with him and cry with him. Together, we get to make mistakes and learn from them. There is no one else I'd rather grow old and spend eternity with.

I'm grateful for Doug. He's my sweet little boy. My furry, stinky, naughty, loyal, snuggly, adorable baby. He's there to snuggle at night and in the morning. He loves the everlasting game of fetch. He'll lie on my cold feet while I work at the desk and watch in confusion while the sewing machine roars. He'll never refuse a belly rub or scratch behind the ears. He sits still while I kiss him on the nose, then returns the gesture... sometimes too lovingly.

I'm grateful for our jobs. Our cars. Our bed. Our couches & TV. Our full kitchen. Our washer & dryer. Our running water & electricity. I'm grateful for windows that open wide every morning and evening. I'm grateful for the creek we have outside and the sound of its running water.

I'm grateful for our family. Each and every family member. I'm grateful for their love. I'm grateful for the love we can feel for them. I'm grateful for the memories I have from childhood, all the way up to present-day. I'm grateful for plans we have in the future, to gather again and make more memories.

I'm grateful for our friends. Near and far. New and old. I'm grateful for the relationships and support we have. I'm grateful for the generosity and hospitality they've always shown us. I'm grateful for the laughs and serious conversations that have brought us closer.

I'm grateful for the life lessons I've learned - and will continue to learn. I'm grateful for the friends, family members, and even strangers that have helped me grow. I'm grateful for second chances.

I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for His atonement. I'm grateful for the Plan of Salvation. I'm grateful for modern-day leaders, as well as leaders from the past. I'm grateful for teachings and commandments. I'm grateful for support and understanding. I'm grateful for years and years of church attendance and activities. I'm grateful for the example of others. I'm grateful for kind words and gestures.

As much as I complain about how things could be better, I have so much to show gratitude for. Everyone does. I need to take the time to count my blessings more often. Life isn't really all that bad. It's good. "Reeeeally good."

2 comments:

  1. So grateful for your perspective! It's great to think about all that we do have and not the things that we lack. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well stated. Life does give us reason to complain but after we're done we need to do just what you said, remember all that is good, reeeeally good, in life.

    ReplyDelete