Sunday, March 23, 2014

"Work" Trip

Austin left his job at Vivint Solar last fall for work at Summit Engineering (in Heber). He loved Vivint Solar - the work he did, the people he worked with, and the company, in general. But, he couldn't say no to a pay raise. Plus, Summit is in the same valley we live in... and he'd worked for them before so it was an easy transition. He stayed for about 6 months before Vivint Solar came to him with an offer he couldn't refuse.
We really thought about it a lot - not wanting to keep bouncing back and forth. But, when it came down to it, this position at Vivint Solar would be another pay raise, there is a better chance for progression within the company, and he's really passionate about the work he does there. He'll be working with the same office he worked with last year (out of San Diego), but the work load has totally increased - which is why they sought him out. They needed someone with experience, who they could count on to get things done. That's my Austin.

So, he started at Vivint Solar on March 3rd, the very same day they asked him to take a two-week trip to their San Diego office to do some hiring and training. No biggie. "We'll pay for Molly to go, too. We'll fly you out, put you up in a hotel near the office, and reimburse you for meals & other expenses." Austin didn't think twice before deciding to go. But, I nanny! I have multiple families counting on me and two weeks is a long time. But, it was a free vacation, so... I went.
It was a total scramble to get everything ready to go. We didn't get the "go-ahead" (like, reassurance that we're really going) until Wednesday. I had to help find people to cover tending for me, figure out what to do with Doug, pack for the whole trip, get rid of all our perishable food, and basically wrap my mind around being gone for half a month. But, we did it!

Instead of flying, we decided to just drive down. It was only about a 10 hour drive. We wouldn't have to worry about Doug on a plane, we wouldn't have to pack as light, and we'd have our own car. Looking back, I'm so glad we drove. I think Austin is too, aside from the fact that I went full monty with my suitcase. Biggest one we have. Filled to the brim. Did I even wear half the clothes I brought? Probably not. Were there instances where I wished I'd brought something I didn't? Of course! What can ya do ;)
We left Friday evening and stayed the night in St. George. Doug was totally out of his element and thank goodness we brought his kennel (which we never use)! We had to lock him up in the kennel inside our hotel to keep him from running at the door and barking at every noise he heard. He's such a good boy, but I have to remember he's still a puppy! We tied a little leash to the headrest in the back seat of the car so we could harness him in back there. Otherwise, we would not leave the Austin's lap. He has to sit there, his back towards me looking out the window... the whole time. I think I have a picture of it I'll post in a little bit. He's such a weird dog.

The drive from St. George wasn't as long and boring as I thought it would be. Before the trip, I bought a pack of embroidery floss and a book, teaching me how to make bracelets. Hello, 4th grade! haha. I made Austin one, which he is still wearing, then myself, Polly, Hazel, Bruce, Erin, and now Paige wants one, too. We're kind of legit in our little bracelet club.

On Saturday, we checked into the La Quinta Inn in Poway, just 20 or 30 minutes north of San Diego. The hotel was (to my relief) not bad at all! The area is so nice! It felt a little like Orem - or Provo without BYU. Busy enough, but a good size smaller than most cities in the area. Doug took a little while to warm up to the room, not knowing it would be his home for the next two weeks. We put him in his kennel for the first night, but after that, he realized no one was trying to attack him... so, he calmed way down.

Day 1. For those who missed it (no one) I posted an instagram of us holding up the day number... every day :)
There were a few really yummy restaurants close to us. Our first night, we went to Mi Rancheritos, a Mexican food place right across the street. They, for some reason, treated us like royalty. We scored a free appetizer and dessert. Then, they let us choose what to watch on the mounted TV in the dining room. So weird. Maybe we looked lost or homeless or something. But, it paid off!

On Sunday, we slept in FAR too late. We missed church, and half the day, really. It was a time change AND daylight savings... so, it really threw me off. We made a quick run to Target to get some food and necessities. Then, since we had nothing better to do, we drove down to Dog Beach. It was so funny seeing Doug react to the water. He basically hated it. Since he's so little, the tide was pretty overwhelming to him. Austin ended up holding him and walking out on the water. That ended when Doug climbed up on Austin's shoulders to get far enough away from the unknown. Doug was more interested in the other dogs there, anyway. I wish we felt ok letting him off the leash. But, he's so curious, I know he'd probably just make a run for it and we'd never see him again. So, I'm that controlling mama.

Day 2. Not a peace sign. Or, sure. It's a peace sign. 
Doug was basically begging to be held. Such a wuss ;)
Thanks, hippie lady, for taking a picture.
On Monday, Austin had his first day of work. He took off around 8am and I... slept in, watched a TV show, and got ready. When he got back, we took Doug and went for a drive, just to see the area. It was SO pretty. Everything is so green. There are so many different kinds of trees and plants. Of course, palm trees everywhere. I love that it's all rolling hills - even through town. Gorgeous. We decided to just get Chinese take-out and eat at the hotel. While we waited for our food, we walked to a nearby pet store to grab some more food for Dougie. When we were checking out, they gave us four ziplock baggies PACKED full of food samples... One of those baggies would last Doug 2 or 3 days. So, I guess we didn't really need to buy that food after all. haha.

On Tuesday, I took Austin to work and ran to Target. I picked up some play food & bottles for Hazel's babydoll and a cute little outfit for her. Her 2nd birthday was on the 14th (that Friday) so, I grabbed a card to mail her. I talked to Paige while I was there, which was so nice because I'm used to see her everyday, but had to hang up before I drove off. Stinkin' California and their law against talking on the phone in the car. That's when I always talk on the phone! I went home, got ready, and picked Austin up to head straight to the Farmer's Market in Escondido, about 20 minutes north of Poway. We just left Doug in the hotel room to play with his toys and hunt for treats I hid all over. At the Farmer's Market, we picked up some fresh strawberries, banana bread, hot sauce, and homemade bath soaps. We headed to La Jolla, still sight-seeing, and stopped at Islands Bar & Grill for the best BBQ burger I've ever had - ever. Plus, we had a perfect side-view of the temple while we ate. After dinner, we drove toward the coast, past inSANE multimillion-dollar homes and caught a crazy view of the beach from up high. We found a pretty, low-key beach where we walked and watched the sunset. I loved the cool sea breeze. It was seriously so nice. I wish we'd made it back there one more time.

Weeeeird angle. But, the temple is so pretty.

Is this not gorgeous? I'm not a "beach" or "ocean" person... but, you can't deny that's a good view.
Shadowy faces at sunset
Wednesday was pretty relaxing. Austin worked "on the go" so we could spend more time together. We took Doug in to get groomed for the first time! Then we ran errands, hung out by the pool, and ate at Mi Rancheritos again. It wasn't as good the second time. Maybe because we didn't get any free food... But, we took Doug with us and talked to the nicest people about their dogs & just visited. I loved being able to eat out on the patio in the nice weather.

Dougie says "Day 5"
Pool time
On Thursday, Austin took the car to work so I just stayed at the hotel most of the day. I played with Doug, got things done on the computer (budget, house hunting - in my dreams, and planned the rest of the trip). Austin came home early, as I was headed out to the pool. He came with me and we just relaxed. Then, we went to a little "mom and pop" Italian place in Poway. It was really good - aside from their calamari NOT being breaded like I was expecting. The slimey little aliens ruined my meal a little.

Friday was probably my favorite day. Austin got off work early again so we headed downtown with lots of time to spare. We drove around a little, ate at El Indio's (seriously, SO good), and after seeing a sign for the Mormon Battalion Museum, headed to Old Town. We did the museum tour, which was actually pretty cool. I'd never learned all that much about the Mormon Battalion, so that was interesting to me! We took Doug around some outdoor shops and picked out a few souvenirs. I really think that is my best memory from the trip. I even talked to Erin and my mom a little on the phone, too.

Best fish tacos in the land
Complimentary photo from the Mormon Battalion museum.
The sister missionary told Austin to shrink down so his head wouldn't be cut off. 
On Saturday, we got up and drove down to the temple. What a great experience! Maybe this was my favorite memory... We did a session and spent time looking around the rooms inside. They have amazing skylights and it's all so beautiful! I mean, the Provo temple is amazing. But, wow. The San Diego temple is breathtaking. We went back to the hotel to check on Doug and made a run to the grocery store. We were both so sick of eating out (well, we still are), so we grabbed the closed thing to "homemade" food we could find... and ice cream. Turns out, the little freezer in our mini fridge didn't work...as a freezer. I was too full to have any sweets that night... so, my ice cream (really, frozen yogurt) turned to goop. Gross.

"Can you get the whole temple in the picture from this close, or should we move farther away?"
"Oh, I can get it! It looks great!"
....
No good selfie

On Sunday, we did more planning, watched a movie, and laid by the pool. It was so nice just to relax and not have to be anywhere. I loved the weekend because I had Austin all to myself! haha. So selfish. Plus, it was hard leaving Doug when we went non-pet-friendly places. So, I liked just being there and, as weird as it sounds, being able to pick up, clean, and organize the hotel room. It's a small space for two people and a dog to live in for two weeks without letting it get messy!

On Monday, Austin ended up staying at work a little long so we got a late start to our "activities." We wanted to make it to the Point Loma tide pools, which we did - but, only for a half hour or so before the park closed. At least we got to take Doug, which was fun. He was still scared of the water... and everything else. He's such a cute little boy. The tide pools were really cool, though. I wish we'd been able to stay longer so we could go on the little hike/walk and take it all in. It was fun to see the lighthouse and all the ships and fishing boats out on the water. Man, the views from the beach are just crazy.

The cliffside was one place Doug didn't seem afraid of the water. Maybe he has no depth perception.

Tuesday was a lot of fun. I took Austin to work, ran to Target (again... seriously, I love Target), met Austin for lunch at Five Guys, picked him up after work and went (again) to the Farmer's Market in Escondido, where we had the best BBQ. Yum. Afterwards, we drove up to San Clemente, walked on the beach for a while, got some pictures taken, and drove back down the coast. Those are the kinds of things I loved. Just doing all the local things.

We were lucky enough to find someone with a photography passion.
This basically turned into a photoshoot... on my iphone.
As we were walking away, she yelled to stop us, came and grabbed my phone again,
and insisted on taking pictures of us walking like this.
"It was too cute to pass up!"
She was so funny and so nice!
On Wednesday, we drove back downtown to Balboa. Walking around the heart of Balboa Park was a blast. We talked to so many people, mostly because they wanted to see Doug... but, we had a lot of fun just taking it easy and snapping pictures. I think I had to mass delete pictures from my phone 5 or 6 times. It kept filling up! Most of the restaurants were closed by the time we got there. Bummer. We drove over to go to Blue Water Grill, but it was SO crowded, so we went next door to Indio's again (fine with us!) where we met even more nice people! Holy cow. I love the San Diego area.

afternoon shadows in Balboa
my honey lookin fine
We mostly stopped here to get away from a chatty wanna-be comedian.
It turned out to be a good photo-op, too.
Austin loved this cactus near the rose garden. He said it looked like a big ball of churros. mmm.
We waiting for the tram to come pick us up for about 20 minutes before the only other couple waiting there realized the tram stopped almost an hour prior. Dangit! At least it was a fun walk back to our car.
Thursday was our last day. Austin was done with work so we made one last stop at the USS Midway Museum. And, by "museum," I mean the actual aircraft carrier. It was so cool to walk around the entire ship and hear about all the planes, how they took off and landed, and what everyone's job was on the carrier. Austin was like a kid in a candy store. And, coming from someone who is deathly afraid of open water, it was pretty cool. Although, when we walked down into the "brig," I got a little nervous.

I mean, it doesn't look as big as it really was here. 
This is about as close as I ever want to be to the water. Actually, this is closer. 
Ok. This makes it look narrow. The deck was HUGE.
Master navigator
Messin' up all the signals & stuff...
Captain's quarters... like a boss.


And that was it! We headed from downtown San Diego  to St. George, stayed in the same Super 8 we stayed at on the way down, and made it home by noon on Friday. So crazy! While we were there, it felt like the trip could last forever (which was a good thing), but now that we're home, it was a total whirlwind! I can't believe March is almost over.

This is what a good majority of the trip home looked like. Either this or me, with my feet up, sleeping like a slob.
See what I mean about Doug? He stays like that until someone moves him. Then, he'll go right back.
Sidenote: Austin says he's planning the best birthday ever for me. This Friday. Don't forget, everyone ;)

But, the trip was so fun. I wouldn't be too disappointed if we had to move down there. Well, I would miss friends and family a little too much. But, it really is such a great around. I wasn't thrilled about it. I don't love being hot. But, I wasn't (granted, it was only March). It was in the mid-high 70's/low 80's the whole time. Everyone was so nice.
So, thanks to Vivint Solar for the perfect excuse to vacation for a while! Now, it's back to reality.

PS - People seem to ask a lot... So, for those who don't know, Vivint Solar is a "sister company" to Vivint. Vivint does alarm systems and home automation. Vivint Solar installs solar panels, residentially. Austin works with the CAD team, designing the solar panel systems that homeowners will have installed. He has to monitor things like their electrical system size & how much it can handle, where the panels will get the most sunlight on the roof, and the household electrical usage. Preeeetty cool.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I love all the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete