Monday, April 5, 2010

The one with Hare Krishna

On Saturday, March 27th, Amanda, Jamie and I went with friends to the Festival of Colors. They do this every year, just on the South end of Spanish Fork. Amanda had been in past years, but this was my first time.

It all has to do with this Hindu religion. This, the Festival of Colors, or Holi, is their spring celebration. I don't know the whole meaning or history, but...it was fun :]


Jim and Mary made us stay outside until most of the powder was shaken off. I don't blame them! I shook out my hair as much as I could, but my shower water was still pure purple!


This is what it looked like when we first got there. You can see their huge temple in the background. There was some Indian type music playing and everyone - EVERYONE was throwing powder. Most of it, people saved for the countdown. But, I still got a lot thrown at me before then.


The group Amanda and I were in moved right to the middle of the huge crowd. Jamie and her friends said they stayed toward the back. Either way, everyone got covered in colors :]

We took bandanas to cover our mouth and nose so we could breathe. Next year, I won't forget to bring sunglasses too! Those would have come in handy.


We looked a lot more colorful before the countdown. Afterwards, it all just turned more brown. This is what it would look like in the middle of the crowd after the powder had settled some. Right when it was thrown, it was hard to see ever 2 feet in front of you! So crazy.

"Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare"

That's what we sang/chanted before and after all the colored powder was thrown. Don't ask me what it means..



It really was so much fun. I still don't like the way I look in the pictures - mostly because of my purple eyebrow. We wiped a lot of the color off our faces before we took these pictures.

Even after the awful traffic, insane people and powder in my eyes, nose, mouth and ears, I still had a blast and I can't wait until next year!

4 comments:

  1. cute blog Molly! Will you be posting pictures from Kirsten's visit to UT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynne! I'll have to find a cute layout.. I'm still not used to the "blogging world"
    And, I definitely will once she posts them on FB and I can steal them. haha. All the pictures we took are on her camera.. My camera is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/

    http://www.shabbyblogsblog.blogspot.com/

    http://hotbliggityblog.com/

    Yay for Festival of colors and purple eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete