Sunday, February 5, 2012

The one on Superbowl Sunday

I would just like to take a moment to express my gratitude for the life I'm living. I'm so glad we have our free agency to choose for ourselves the best way to live our lives. Sometimes, that makes it so much harder to do the right thing. But, it's really a blessing to be able to learn from our own mistakes - in order to avoid other mistakes.
Austin and I are not perfect. I know, I know... You can continue thinking we are if it makes you feel better. (just kidding) I'm so glad we get in little arguments and have our disagreements because, when we come common ground, it makes it so much sweeter. I love Austin. He's a huge example to me and makes me a better person everyday. He's so patient and understands when I'm acting like a complete psycho (I don't know how he handles that...).
Everyone, even within the church, chooses to live their lives in different ways. I had friends growing up who couldn't - WOULD NOT drink caffeine. I say, "Good for you!" I think that's awesome. I wish (well, kinda) that I had never fallen in love with soda in the first place. If you feel like wearing low-cut shirts or shorter shorts are okay, then great! I don't choose to wear those (maybe if I had the body to, I'd think differently... just kidding. again). There are some people who wear church clothes all day on Sunday to help them remember the holiness of the day. If that works for them, awesome! For me, I'm just uncomfortable trying to relax and cook dinner in those clothes. I never would have survived any of the pre-1970's decades.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm glad we have the chance to make those decisions. I'm glad it's up to us, individually, to make choices to best fulfill our lives. I've realized the difference, too, between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.
There are times newly baptized/converted members decide to have a civil wedding and get sealed in the temple a year later. While I don't recommend this to just anyone, if it will avoid hard feelings towards the church from non-member family and friends, it may be a better option. If the only time you can visit family or friends is on a Sunday and you have to travel a bit or be there while watching TV or a movie, it might be worth the small sacrifice to make them feel your love for them.
Now, this is all just my own opinion. Just observations I've had all my life and even recently. But, what I get from all my years being raise in the church is that family is more important that almost anything else. Family is what the church is built around. The church's "motto" on all their messages is, "Family. Isn't it about time?" Family. Family. Family. I think it's amazing. I would never trade my family for anything. And I would do anything I could to help them with whatever they need.
It makes me so sad seeing families torn apart because of the church - whether it be misunderstandings or someone taking offense to something they don't agree with. We are asked to attend our meetings, keep covenants, go to the temple often, pay tithing, and so many simple things that - yes - can sometimes be really hard to do. But, in return, we are given our free agency. We have the opportunity to take all the knowledge we have and use it in our daily lives. With all the tools and information we have, we are taught how to live Christ-like lives.
I'm not saying or implying or even entertaining the thought that I'm the perfect example to follow. I make a lot of mistakes and have tons of room for improvement. I'm just trying to understand the basics before I jump too far forward. I hope to never come across as prideful or self-righteous. I'm going to continue learning every day of my life and even after! I hope everyone will help me with that and, if I ever come across anything I can help anyone with, I hope I can do so. But, for now, I'm going to try to make the right decisions. I'm trying to be like Jesus. I want my friends and family to know how much I love them and how much I love the gospel.

Today is Superbowl Sunday. While I don't really care about the Superbowl, I do care about family. Austin's Grandma lived in Texas his (Austin's) entire life up until this last year. We are so blessed to have her live so close. My parents live in Illinois. I would LOVE for them to move closer to all of us. I understand the blessing of having even parents so near. I'm glad we have the opportunity to gather with family.
Austin's Grandma, Joyce, isn't a member. She always attended church, though - a Christian church in Texas. Now that she lives in an assisted living facility in Provo, Utah, she attends the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, another Christan church. She had a really hard time when Jerry and Sherrie, both converts, got married in the temple. I think all that Jerry and Sherrie have done is amazing. They are wonderful examples.
What I would love to do is show Joyce how much we love her. That differences in religion and lifestyles can't get in the way of the love we have for each other and for our Savior. Joyce is a strong, amazing woman. She suffered a bad stroke about 10 years ago. The progress she is making, even recently, is outstanding. I'm so happy to see her getting stronger. I love getting to know her more and learning all about her life.
This Sunday, we will be in her room, at the assisted living home, watching the Superbowl. More importantly, we will be spending quality time with our family, the ones we love most.

2 comments:

  1. Your comments remind me of one of my favorite quotes from Pres. Hinckley, "There is room for improvement in every life. Regardless of our occupations, regardless of our circumstances, we can improve ourselves and while so doing have an effect on the lives of those about us. We do not need to wear our religion on our sleeves."

    ReplyDelete
  2. President Hinckley sure knew how to hit home. I love that quote! Sums it right up :)

    ReplyDelete