"I listened for a reference to homosexuality, and it came up for a second as the teacher shared a story from a friend, but then it disappeared in the discussion that followed. The teacher definitely didn't live with same-sex attraction, and I doubt that he realized that any of us did either."Instead of being offended and feeling singled out, he took that...and flipped it around. He realized that we all must feel that way. We aren't all aware of everyone else's individual issues. Maybe that's just the human brain for you - naturally selfish and concerned most with NUMBER ONE. But, as I kept reading, I was really blown away. Someone with such a huge, and seldom talked-about struggle could remove himself from the potentially uncomfortable situation (filled with the potential of self-pity) and see it through Christ's eyes... It makes me feel really vain. And self-absorbed.
A few other tid bits from his post that I really, REALLY love are:
I don't need to save the world - because He already has.
Right?! Right. We just need to do our part. Some days, that can be so overwhelming. Other days, we have that extra boost and can run a marathon of service with a smiling face and a heart filled with the love of Christ. We're just asked to do our best, whatever that may be, and Heavenly Father will cover the rest.
I just need to do my part - be willing to follow God and use my own talents, trials, time, and faith to build the kingdom.
Kind-of goes along with the one before. But, in addition to what was just said, we need to make sacrifices. We need to spend some extra time, work a little harder, exercise faith, and use the God-given talents we all have, as individuals. That is exactly WHY we have talents.
I need to remember that everyone was sent here to Earth and given trials beyond their ability to bear alone.
No one is meant to bear all their burdens alone. We are all blessed with friends, family, ward members, and bishops. We have people there to help us. They need to use their talents and give of their time. That is exactly how the world goes 'round. We can't be too prideful or embarrassed to ask for help. No one is 100% independent. We all have bad days and good days. When we feel alone - away from people, we always have that constant companion. Someone we can always rely on. Someone who knows how we feel, what we're going through and the best way to get through it.
Anyway, Austin and I have had a really rough start to the year. It seems like bad luck. Maybe this is a message...of some sort. I hope this "bad luck" or "message" comes to a halt. I would love to get to the lesson-learning part. But, I know I need to be patient. Like I posted about before, "in God's time." I won't let Satan win and get the best of me. I will not become too impatient for the plans my Heavenly Father has for me.
I need to rejoice in the good fortune and blessings of others. I would never wish any hard upon anyone else. Whenever I feel like throwing myself a pity party, I'll find a way to help someone else out instead. It always makes me feel better and my hopes are that, when I do something nice for someone else, it makes them feel good, too. Two birds with one stone.
Thanks, Molly. I find I feel the same way sometimes - lost in my own problems and oblivious to the world around me. It's good to hear that sharing it with the world can make a difference.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post... one I'm going to read over and over again. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you two enjoyed it! Sometimes I feel like I'm rambling on and on. I read back, though and find I'm learning these lessons over and over again. Since I took the time to write about them (even just for my own sake) it's easier to bear through future struggles - since I have proof that I was so strong at least at one point :) Among all else, thanks for reading my blog!
ReplyDeleteSo wise. This is the kind of stuff I have to tell myself every day. I'll be rereading this one, too!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you. Clark is also job hunting (which sucks) and I've been feeling very picked on because of it. I really suck at being patient! But things could be a lot worse, I just have to remember how blessed we are. I hope you guys have better luck on the job search :)
ReplyDelete