Monday, November 26, 2012

Holiday Fever

This past weekend (well, Wednesday - Saturday), we had Erin staying with us. She got way sick with a bad sinus infection. I felt so bad for her! We went to visit her on Tuesday night but she was so miserable, there was no way I could leave her in that empty house alone all Thanksgiving weekend! She only ended up missing one day of work.
I'm so glad she let us bring her home! I don't get to see her as often anymore so it was fun to have her around! - even if she was drugged up and still miserable the whole time. I hope she wasn't completely bored to death while she was up here. Paige and Lorin brought their kids over a couple times, too so we all got to spend time together.

For Thanksgiving, I woke up early to make a pie, cookies, and stuffing for dinner at Austin's parents' house. I tried streaming the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade online but I couldn't find it anywhere. So, instead, I played Christmas music. Erin woke up and sat at the bar while I cooked and baked. It was fun having her there - even just to talk to :)
Austin came home from playing football, relaxed, took a shower, and helped me finish cooking while I got ready. We were only 15 minutes late for dinner :) Erin didn't feel well enough to come so I hope she got some good sleep while we were gone.
Jerry and Sherrie are so nice to always invite anyone who would like to come. I think Erin got a dozen different invitations - I'm surprised Sherrie didn't just come over and kidnap her. But, when we arrived at their house, we were met by Kathy (one of Austin's auties), Alice, Richard, their daughter, Olivia (Alice is the daughter of Nola - another auntie who is serving a mission with her husband), Kate (Nola's other daughter), Ben, Joy, Jerry, Sherrie, and Sherrie's mom, Joyce. It was actually the smallest gathering at their house that I can remember - beside just direct family.
In the afternoon, we ran home to change, I checked on Erin, we stopped by Lorin's brother's house to grab Brave, which Sherrie had been wanting to watch, and back to the Seawrights. Paige and Lorin brought their kids over to visit.
SIDENOTE: Polly, who is in first grade, is in one of Sherrie's classes. The way it was explained to me, is that Sherrie teaches a few classes, aside from ESL. She'll help kids who are falling behind or struggling and help them focus on what they need help with. She'll also help kids who are excelling and keep them from getting bored and lazy in school. Polly is one of the students who excels, of course :)
So, we watched Brave and visited until it was time for bed. It was a fun Thanksgiving. I wish Erin could have come. I missing seeing all my siblings and parents but, it just makes me that much more excited for Christmas!

We bought our Christmas tree on Friday and decorated that while we watched White Christmas. Austin said he's only ever had a real tree once or twice that he can remember. My parents always got a real tree so I love the smell of them! We had a fake one for the kid "decoration," if you can call them that. I don't blame my mom one bit for not letting us put all our popsicle-stick reindeer on her tree. They were bad. haha. But, it was fun picking out a tree and decorating it with our own decorations.
Austin was such a good sport. I think he ran to the store 4 different times - all for more lights. Maybe my mom uses more lights that is normal, but I had no idea just how many more! Holy cow. "This is how my mom does it..." Yeah. She must spend $100 on lights alone! :) But, I love it.
I bought gold wire and wrapped it around a cardboard star I cut out. I like the way it turned out! I also bought fabric to make a tree skirt but I may recruit Paige to help me make that. I'm so excited. I LOVE Christmas! I don't think it's all that healthy... Just ask Austin. He'll agree 100% that I have seasonal depression... after Christmas and all the way through the summer until it's fall again.

Anyway, it was such a good, long weekend. I love spending time with family. I love getting to know my in-laws better and laughing with them. I love everyone in my family. No one is exactly the same but, I really think we all compliment each other really really well.
I'm so glad we all get along so well! I love that Ben married Courtney. I never worried about anyone having to "fit it" with our family - I feel like we're pretty welcoming. But, I know it would be hard to marry into a family with so many girls. Yikes. But, Courtney fits right in and I miss her a lot! I'm so glad she and Ben love Arizona! I can't wait to see them and Miss Clara at Christmas! I haven't heard her talk all that much so it will be fun to get so much MORE personality out of her - when we've already seen so much :) I can't wait to see my parents! My mom is just like another sister (a wise, more level-headed, less dramatic sister). I can just imagine what my dad, Lorin, Ben, and Austin all think when we get together. I love that there are so many kids in our family and we'll only keep growing!
I love this time of year. Everyone is so happy and considerate. There is so much anticipation for the holidays and family gatherings. It's so good to see all our friends and family so much. I love the atmosphere at this time of year! Happy Holidays, everyone!


1 comment:

  1. I just read this post, and I just have to say I couldn't have asked for a better family to marry in to. Yes, marrying into a family with all girls seemed a bit overwhelming, but you guys are just hilarious and I have the best time when I'm around you. I think all of the Emmett's are that way... no one really has to work to fit in. You just welcome anyone and everyone. Can't wait for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete