Friday, November 30, 2012

Traditions

So, the reason I love Christmas is because of all the traditions. I never realized just how many our family has. I just thought I'd write about them.

First of all, presents. Greedy. Jk. Hear me out. I was talking to Austin about presents yesterday. His family decided not to do presents this year. Instead, we're using the money that would have been spent on gifts and paying for activities instead. While that's a great idea, I'm going to miss exchanging gifts this year.
I love the anticipation - just in general. I don't mean thinking about what you're going to get all month long. I mean waiting to see what everyone got everyone else. I think it's so fun to see what people have come up with. Everyone is creative in their own way. I think it really shows what you think of the giftee when you choose something you think they'll love. It's fun to see what we all think of each other. And it's really fun to see the smiles and happiness when someone opens a gift that they know a lot of thought was put into.

When I was growing up, we lived in Illinois - from the day I was born until July 25, 2008, when I moved to Utah. My mom would always decorate the Thanksgiving weekend. I remember picking out the tree - always a real tree. I loved pulling out all the decorations, remembering them from years before. Mom would always do the lights on the tree. Dad would do the lights on the house, maybe candycanes lining the walkway outside. We would make sugar cookies, drive through the Christmas lights at the park, and we would always have Christmas music playing. I loved that.

My parents were always so great about keeping the true meaning of Christmas in our home. We had our traditions with presents and Santa. But, I always knew what Christmas was really about. I'm really grateful for my parents. I'm sure it wasn't easy with kids who just wanted to watch the Grinch and wrap presents. I remember them always buying a game that we could open on Christmas Eve. Then we would all sleep in the same room. I'm sure it was easier to keep up from peeking that way. But, those things were all traditions.

We would always (minus maybe 2 years) come to Utah. Most times, we would do presents in Illinois. We would have Christmas on maybe the 22nd. Then we would back up for Utah. It was always so magical to me - going to Utah. We didn't have any extended family in Illinois. We didn't get pretty snow, mostly storms with snow and ice mixed. We didn't go skiing or even sledding, really. But, out in Utah, you had all of that!

Until we got a little older, we would always fly out - all 6 of us. Home Alone style. Speed walking (sometimes running) through the airport with our big coats on, trying to carry all our luggage, pillows, and blankets for napping in the car and on the plane. One time, when I was maybe 6 or 7, we got stuck in the airport on Christmas Eve. So nuts. Then the drive was about 23 hours one way. I never hated it. It was long. But, we could distract ourselves with movies, books, games, and sleep. My poor dad (and mom) had to stay awake during snow storms, late nights, and early mornings. Sometimes, if my dad was feeling up to it, he would drive straight through the night - just to get there sooner. I can't really blame him. Trooper.

When we got to Utah, we would have a Christmas Eve dinner at my Grandma and Grandpa Freeman's house. We would stay over until late, go back to my Grandma and Grandpa Emmett's house, sleep there, wake up for Abelskievers, then back to the Freemans' for lunch and presents. We would hang out there until later afternoon, then head back to the Emmetts' for dinner, the Christmas program - which consisted of singing, a talent show, and a Nativiy scene played by the younger grandkids.

Like I said, Utah was always so magical. For the next few days, we would go skiing, hang out, eat all our leftovers, maybe see a movie, and sometimes we would stay for New Years. It was always so sad when we had to go home. That bittersweet feeling when holidays come - you love it, you're enjoying it while it's happening but, in the back of your mind, you also know it's coming to an end.

I love living here, close to family. I can't wait for my mom and dad to move out here. I may not have a ton of best friends but, that's because they're all actually my family, too. I love my family. No matter how long we go without seeing each other, I feel like we're still all pretty close. Maybe having family around is what really made Utah so magical for me. Everyone would get along so well. I'm sure that's why I love Christmas so much.


I have a coffee/hot cocoa machine in my office at work so people will walk in throughout the day. When they hear my Christmas music, they'll tell me how much they dislike Christmas or how sick of the music they are. I feel bad that they don't love it like I always have. It's so great to feel the love of everyone around you. "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!" For crying out loud! haha. Fine. No one has to love it like I do. But, shut up and let me love it.

I really look forward to starting traditions with Austin and raising a family who loves Christmas. I always looked forward to this time of year. I want my kids to feel the same way. Austin is learning (being forced) to love Christmas and I love it! We even got a real tree this year! So, if you need help loving Christmas, just call me up.

Merry Christmas!!

3 comments:

  1. This warms my little heart! "Shut up and let me love it." hahaha. I love Christmas! and I love you and I love our family and I heard Step Into Christmas by Elton John the other day and I can't wait for us all to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas at Grandpa and Grandma Emmett's was the best! I feel like the Christmas break lasted FOREVER and we all just played together all day and night. I still love Christmas so much, but as a child it just feels more magical. I'm getting excited for you and Amanda to sing :) seriously, you girls are the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas too! I still get that excited feeling I did as a child when it gets closer and I know the whole family is going to be together. We have such a great family with fun traditions. I feel sorry for the people that "hate" Christmas music or dread this time of year. They are missing out!

    ReplyDelete