HOW TO OVERCOME
1. Pray immediately - Admit it to the Lord
2. Serve - Companion, spouse, anyone around you
3. Get out and go to work - Early! Forget yourself and go to work. Keep it going until it (whatever you're overcoming) goes away.
---
1. You better be praying. He is the only one who knows how to overcome all the sources of evil.
2. Don't pack major un-repented sins. Dump the bucket and feel the power of the atonement! Know yourself. Early recognition can help you overcome depression. Depression is not of God. He doesn't want you to feel that way.
3. Our objective is to live with God. Be as God. Serve - Get outside yourself and be like Christ. Not service oriented = Not Christ oriented.
4. Avoid all negative self-talk. No PITY PARTIES. The moment you say it, you become it. Never admit it! Satan will know and jump on it!
5. Find a sacred grove! Tell the world to go to hell! Never say "I don't have time." Have a place to go - relax, meditate, exercise, etc. You need to have a place to unwind or the world will weigh you down.
6. Count your many blessings. Never say "everything in my life is going wrong." That's not true! Find the good. Once you find the positive, say it out loud! Start with the potential negative and switch it to find a positive :] D&C 98:3
7. Get a priesthood blessing. (For sister missionaries, ask elders that are annoying :) It will really help you to tolerate them.) Lack of use is the greatest sorrow. Don't worry if you don't think it's what you want to hear. Be open to hear anything.
8. Re-read your patriarchal blessing. It doesn't always matter exactly what it says; it gets you in the spirit of revelation. It will help you receive inspiration. You'll find answers simply, if you have faith.
9. Write a positive letter to someone. Give them counsel on how to cheer up or fix a problem. Keep the letter, read it in a few days and your answer will be there.
10. Call for help - If all else fails. Mission president, bishop, parent, friend, counselor.
"I don't believe we are meant to live in a depressed state. Purge yourself of sin and live happily! God wants us to."
"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." - Gordon B. Hinckley
I probably don't have all the right information, but I hope it was at least enlightening. It sure helps me out when I'm having a bummy day. A few of my favorites are numbers 5, 6 and 8. They're all good, though. I'm so glad I have such a wonderful life. Everyone has bad days and the occasional bad luck. But, I sure wouldn't appreciate all the good things in life without all the little bad things. Sometimes, I feel like these "unfortunate events" pile up so fast and all at the same time...But, that's how life goes, right? We just have to keep on keepin' on and, one day, we'll be blessed because of our faith and persistence. Until that day comes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed - just for some extra luck :]
Thanks Molly! I really needed to hear all that. Sometimes I think I am doing ok, having a good attitude, serving others, doing all the right things (or most of them) until I really think about it. I have to realize I am always slipping. If I'm not "growing my flowers," then they are dying. That's Lorin's analogy for your testimony. A testimony can't stand still...it's either growing or dying. Anyway, thanks for the comments...I am always looking for something to lift my spirits when I am having a "bummy" day! (Not that I am today...it's too early to tell...haha! but I'll know where to look next time I am!) It's hard for me to not throw pity parties & think everything in my life is going wring when it's really just 1 or 2 things that went wrong all of the sudden or kind of at the same time. Thanks for helping me think positive today!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I definitely can use it in my second job.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you two enjoyed it. I remember taking those notes thinking I'd probably never read back on them. Funny how things work out. I feel like I find things like this for specific times. I love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mol! Good things we all need to hear.
ReplyDelete