Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The one with the fiance

If you know me very well at all, you know

I GOT ENGAGED!

I'm very VERY excited!

Austin proposed to me on Christmas Eve (December 24, 2010).

We had driven up to Riverton to the Fotheringham home on December 23rd for my direct family's one-day-early Christmas Eve. Good times. No worries. We did our traditional pajam
a picture with all the kids on the couch, including Austin this time. We woke up the next day to have the (Illinois) Emmett Christmas morning - on the 24th. The smallest kids started out opening their Santa gifts while we all wandered in. We started with Santa gifts for everyone else and ended up taking a breakfast break before exchanging gifts between each other.

Austin and I opening presents before our breakfast break

HERE is a key time during the day.

Paige and I had to run to the store to get something...I don't know, probably Dr. Pepper :] But, at this time, Austin apparently asked my wonderful father if he could marry his daughter - me!! Smooth, Austin. So, we got home and finished presents. During this time, everyone knew about Austin planning to propose to me - even Paige. I'm assuming Lorin told her :] Anyway, the rest of the day was full of fun and hanging out. We did our gingerbread (graham cracker) houses and our white elephant game in the evening. Austin and I left around 5:00 or 6:00. If I remember right, we had to stop by Provo to get something.. I think Austin told me deodorant? What a lame excuse. I hardly fell for that. I thought he was just being weird. I don't know what he did in Provo, but I guess it had something to do with the proposal - which is coming up real soon in my story :]
We got to Heber and talked to his family for a little bit. They knew he was
going to pop the question, too! They were headed out to do some Secret Santa stuff. They invited us two or three times and Austin kept turning them down. I didn't know why. Anyway, Austin and I got in a nostalgic mood, talking about us and memories and I asked him (like I did probably everyday) if and when he was ever going to marry me. He was really good at acting like it wasn't even on his mind! I was a little frustrated - well, I had been for a WHILE. haha. But, he told me he would ask as soon as possible...whatever that means.

When we first got out of the car, he had mentioned what a clear night it was and said we should go look at the stars in the backyard. OK. The Seawrights' backyard overlooks prrretty much all of Heber.. and some. It's so pretty! I love it :] So, we were out there and he turned on some music. He asked me to dance and started telling me how wonderful I am. Oh, gosshhh.. Such a sweet boy :] After only a few minutes, he got on his knee - in the snow :] and popped the big ol' question! My initial response was "Wait, are you kidding??" "Wait, you're serious?" Ahh! I was SO happy! He teared up, I teared up. It was so cute! HE tried recording it on a video camera, but it was too dark, we were too far away and the music was loud. A+ for effort, though!
We went inside so I could stare at my ring in the light. It wasn't my ring, actually. But, my
diamond! Gorgeous. I'm in love with it. After maybe 10 minutes, his family came home. His mom walked in, telling some story. I could tell she was looking for the ring on my finger, trying not to be obvious. Austin just pointed to it and.. she screamed! :] She is so cute!! We all hugged and talked about how it happened and all the details. It was so fun :]

We took this picture at Austin's parents' house on Chistmas Eve.
Right after he proposed :]

I sent my family members a picture mail. haha. Only because I knew they already knew it was coming AND I knew my mom would just call me right back - which she did. We all just sat on the couch and talked for a while. We got new pj's and it was off to bed. The next morning was the real Christmas Day. We got up and opened presents. Joy drew Austin's name, which means me too. She got us three movies, popcorn and a bunch of candy. Perfect for us, I think. Austin gave me a couple more presents and his mom did, too! Such an awesome family. Austin and I hurried to write out "As our gift to you, we'll let you spend a whole evening with us. A double date!" Or something like that. We still owe them... haha.

The rest of Christmas was a blast. We drove up to Logan that day to spend time at the Freeman's for lunch and over to the Emmett's that night. There, we had an ugly sweater photoshoot and Chinese takeout for dinner :] We went to church with the Freeman's on the 26th and had the Emmett family Christmas extravaganza that night. So busy! The next two days were full of skiing, shopping, sleeping, talking and just hanging out - what my family does best :] It will probably go down as the best Christmas ever :]

Here is what my finished ring looks like :] I love it so much!
We might get a wedding band with diamonds to look like this band...but, probably not for a while.
Maybe an anniversary or something :]

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you finally posted this! I love your story from the very beginning... what a fun couple! I'm so happy and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete