Friday, November 18, 2011

The one with the anticipation

I'm getting so excited for the Holiday season! Last year was nuts! But, so much fun! For Thanksgiving, I was waitressing. I worked 2 doubles leading up to Thanksgiving and another double on Thanksgiving! I wasn't planning on working that much but people wanted to get rid of their shifts at the last minute (of course) so I took them! I made so much money that week but poor Austin slaved over an amazing meal just to have me come over straight from work and pass out on his couch. I can't believe how tired I was. You know when you feel like you're in a dream and can't figure out if that moment is real life or not? Well, it was a million times worse than that!
The Christmas season was good! I still worked as a waitress so that took a lot of my time and energy but Austin and I were getting serious and I was trying as hard as I could to steal his heart to be mine - forever. I flew down to Texas in mid-December to meet him and the rest of his family for his Grandpa's funeral. This was the first time I'd met most of them and I. Was. Terrified. Looking back, I still can't believe I did that. But, I'm so glad I did. I love Austin's family and had a good, bittersweet time while we were there. By the time we got back from Texas, it was the week before Christmas!! This meant family was on the way from Illinois, we were working out which days to spend with which family and sleep in which bed. In all the craziness, Austin had secret plans to take care of! That's right! All my hard work paid off!! He was getting my RING! 
I know I blogged about this before but I just love thinking about it so I'll share my thoughts with you! Austin couldn't get my entire rind made in time for Christmas so he got my diamond set on a loaner ring.
Ok, back up! It was the night of the 23rd... I think. We went to Chad & Marie's (in Springville) for a family dinner. My parents and siblings all met at my apartment (in Provo) before going over. Austin and I decided to drive separately but, we got 2 minutes away from my apartment and he had to turn around, drop me off at my apartment again, go "get a gift for his mom," then come back for me before we went to Springville. It made some sense to me because, after we left Chad's, we were headed straight to Paige's so we woudn't come back through Provo, but I didn't know why he had to drop me off! And to think - I didn't suspect a thing! Well, not concerning a ring! :)
Austin was acting weird all week but I just figured it was because of all the gift-giving-sneaky behavior and spending so much time with my family. We stayed at Paige's and, on December 24th, we had our Christmas morning. We did Santa gifts then took a break while Paige and I ran to the store for time drinks and food we'd forgotten. Apparently, this is when Austin asked the big question to my Dad. I wish I could have seen that. All the rooms are pretty much connected in Paige & Lorin's "living" area. So, unless everyone crammed into the bedrooms and bathrooms, I sure they knew what was going on. When Paige and I got back, we all ate breakfast and opened the rest of the presents. Austin and I left for Heber that day. I thought it would be faster to drive up Parley's Canyon, through Salt Lake. Austin insisted on driving through Provo because he forgot to pack deoderant... What a grrreat excuse, Austin! :) We went to his apartment but I just stayed in the car. I guess he really did pack deoderant because he couldn't find any... haha. What a funny boy.
We bolted up to Heber to find his family walking out the door. They were doing some Secret Santa thing, doorbell ditching people and leaving them treats. His mom asked if we wanted to go and Austin said no without even thinking about it. I didn't know why he wanted to stay at his parents' house while they all left - wouldn't that just be boring? Especially on Christmas Eve? He suggested we go look at the stars in the back yard. I thought it was a perfect idea. The view from this house is to die for! It overlooks all of Heber Valley with Timpanogos behind. We went outside, he put on music and we started dancing! What a romanic boy. He started talking all sweet to me and before I knew it, he was on his knee, reaching in his coat pocket! He pulled out a small box that I still have sitting on my nightstand. The next 5 or 10 minutes are a complete blur. I remember him being so nervous (as if there was even a chance I'd say no) and me being so excited. I'm so glad I didn't see that moment coming.
We went inside and I just sat on the couch. I had to get a grip on the situation. Not 5 minutes later, everyone walked inside. Austin's mom was first to come in. I could tell she was trying to see my hand but didn't want to say anything - just in case Austin didn't ask yet. When she saw she squealed and hugged me. I'm so glad we had family right there for the next week! It was so perfect.
I know the picture is blurry but I took this with my phone the night Austin proposed!
My finished ring! Austin slipped it on my hang without me even looking! It sounds cheesey and unreal, but he's THAT sneaky!
And the rest... is history! I've always loved the Holiday season so much and I seriously think it gets better and better every year! I've already started decorating our cute apartment. I'll try not to get out of control with my overwhelming Chrismas spirit, but if I do, it'll only be for another month and a half :)

This year, my family has rented out a condo in Midway. I'm SO excited to all get together in a new, fun place! That way, we'll all get a break, there will be space to spread out, and we'll feel somewhat removed from our familiar places. It will be amazing. So, we'll be there from the 19th - 22nd. We'll have Santa (Austin's dad) come on the night of the 20th, we'll do our Christmas morning on the 21st and celebrate Paige's birthday on the night of that 21st. On the 22nd, Austin and I will head over (10 minutes drive) to his parents' house until the 26th - then, we'll head up to Logan. Busy busy busy! I just hope we can get all this time off work! :)

If I can't tell, I just love my family - both sides! I can't wait to spend so much time with them! I love the feel of this season!

Don't mind if I do share a few memories! These are just from Paige & Lorin's house last Christmas. This year is aure to be just as good! :)
I was crazy excited for my new snuggie!
And Paige was crazy excited for her new tripod!

Courtney and Clara were both excited for the new toys :)

Mom was excited for graham crackers! Or snowflake candles and jars :)
Can everyone just settle down about the pony toys? (Dad and Courtney...)


A truck pulling a boat?! Who'da thought?? :)


I have no idea what was in that brownie box butI'm guessing it's something Erin wanted!
White elephant gifts! Thanks to Lorin for taking the picture!
We suggested not holding that 12-pack over the baby :) Good thing Ben has a steady arm!

"Step Into Christmas" Erin, Polly and my self :)

1 comment: