Thursday, August 25, 2011

The one with hope

As funny as it sounds, I've been listening to a lot of NPR lately. I have the Heber Valley and Utah Valley stations both programmed in my car. It's really interesting actually knowing what's going on around you.

In addition to that, I'm working on the Vivint Solar team. We've done a lot of research about the natural resource damage being done everywhere - even in peoples' back yard. It's amazing what lengths we and companies we pay will go to for natural energy resources. Coal mining is much less common. Now there is mountian top and pit mining. We (as a country and consumers) are literally cutting off the tops of mountains, taking what resources are needed, and filling up the surrounding valleys with those mountain tops. On the flip side, we're digging HUGE holes in the ground, right behind homeowners' properties, next to businesses and ever right outside state and national parks. Awful. I won't even get into the natural gas extraction around and even under homes. (They're basically sitting on a bomb!) We all know about the oil rigs in the gulf and off several other coasts.

Now, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm really not even trying to stir anything up. It's just so surprising what is happening that we don't even know about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziuFW-7h1LM&playnext=1&list=PLBDCF04D82B0D184A
There are 3 of these videos. They're really informative and real. I think he only says a couple "choice" words... Just so you know :)

Anyway, things like this just make me nervous. Maybe I'm just a worrier but, I like to stay fairly cautious. This is real stuff. What will it be like when our kids are grown? So much has changed since my partents were young and, obviously, that wasn't that long ago!

Then, I listen to the radio and hear all about the debt ceiling being raised. Well, what about next year when we confront the same (and potentially worsened) problem? When Austin and I retire (hopeful that retirement will even be an option), we won't get any sort of social security. We have to save what we'll need - starting now.

I know I'm just ranting but these are the things I think about when work is slow and on my drive home. I want this world to be a happy, enjoyable place for my kids and grandkids. I don't know how much longer we'll be on earth, but I hope we can make a difference and prevent any preventable disasters.

I know this world is wonderful and, like I said before, I'm so blessed. I have everything I need and more. Heavenly Father is watching over me and my loved ones. We all need to keep the faith, do what we know is right and what we know we should.


This poster was made by the British Goverment during World War 2


I know I just need to take a deep breath. Everything will be fine. After doing everything we can to obey what Heavenly Father and our leaders teach, all we can do is "Keep Calm and Carry On."

"In all living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
Gordon B. Hinckley

1 comment:

  1. What a great post... We raised a pretty amazing daughter! Love You!

    ReplyDelete