Saturday, January 21, 2012

The one with lessons learned

So, we've all learned a thing or two over the years. Most of the things I've learned have been from mistakes - either my own or someone I know. A lot of my extensive knowledge comes from advice others have given me. And a few (I wish I could say more) of the lessons I've learned have been from observations, alone. I thought I would just jot down a few things, if not to help anyone else, at least to help myself remember - for future reference.

Before I start my rant, this song is stuck in my head and relates to this post (if you feel like listening to some music other than what I have playing here). I also just LOVE Carrie Underwood's voice. Wow.

Now, this is a list aside from the "Don't judge a book by its cover" and "Treat others how you would like to be treated." We all know those sayings. We've been told them a thousand times. Maybe I'll include some more obvious points, but that just means it took me a while to actually learn that particular lesson.

Ok. Here I go:

Laugh. At yourself. At funny jokes. Even at others (when appropriate).

Help others whenever you get the chance. Karma. Even aside from karma, just be nice. It'll make you feel SO accomplished. Others will see and they'll pay it forward!

Be thankful. There is so much to be thankful for. Even on your worst day, I bet you can easily list 50 things to make you grateful for what you have. If you can't, call me. I'll help :)

Smile - even (especially) at strangers. When have you even gotten mad at someone who smiled at you just because. Yeah, it's worth it.

Try new things. A lot! It took me a while to learn this one. Don't worry about looking dumb, not having fun or not doing something the right way. Trying new things gets something going in your brain and you just feel better!

Drink water. You'll feel better! 

Learn the benefits of counting to 10 - when you're mad, excited, anxious, nervous. Ok. Maybe count to 20? You have to do it right. Take a deep breath and slowly count to 10. Something so simple can help you realize there is no reason for any bad feelings.

Don't overstay your welcome. It's fun to hang out, talk, chat, relax. But, if you leave at a decent hour, everyone will be happy. No one will be tired of the hanging out, talking, etc. No one will be late getting home or to wherever they need to be. I'm a firm believer in "ending on a good note." That way, you'll be invited back!

Use your imagination. Yeah. I sing and dance and act like I'm on Broadway - all the time. Sue me. If you're home alone and it's too quite, turn on some music, talk yourself through the morning. No one will know. Even if they do. Who cares :)

Enjoy the rain. Same goes for snow. Enjoy it while it's here. Yeah, sunny and 75 degrees is nice. But, you've gotta get some variety in there. Rain is pretty. Snow is pretty. Take it all in.

Take a long, hot shower. It'll cure juuust about anything.

"Study harder," from my Grandpa Emmett. That'll cure whatever the long, hot shower can't :)

Display uplifting things in your home. Of course you want nice pillows and rugs all over. But, anything from inspirational quotes to pictures of family and Christ can make you feel so much better.

Make your bed every morning. It makes you feel more accomplished! You've just made progress for the day. Now, keep it going and be productive! 

Sing. Oh, yeeahh. Sing your heart out! Who doesn't love to sing? In the car, in the shower, at church. C'mon. It makes your heart happy.

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without," as Norda Emmett (my wonderful Grandma) would say. It's a good saying to live by! You have it because you need it. So, don't buy it if you don't need it. If you bought it and you don't use it, you can't buy it anymore.

Tell people what they mean to you. As long as it's nice :) Tell your family and friends you love them. Let those great examples in your life know it! No one will turn down a compliment. Then, you both walk away feeling much better - about yourself and each other.

Clean as you go. Whether it's cooking, crafts, kids toys... :) If you just pick up here and there as you go, there won't be nearly as much to clean in the end.

Exercise. I shouldn't have to tell you why. But, while you're at it, give me a push, too! I'll probably need it :)

Wear water proof shoes (especially if your gut tells you to). Oh, yes. Did it rain yesterday? Is it supposed to rain tomorrow? Just play it safe and wear waterproof shoes. Don't ruin those cute flats, TOMS, sandals, suede boots, whatever they may be. Play it safe.

Be a kid. We built a fort the other night, drank juice from tupperware cups and ate chips & salsa while we watched a movie. LOVE. It's fun to just not think about the mess you're making. Sometimes, you just have to live in the moment.

Don't be too prideful. Again, don't worry about feeling stupid. Your hair looks fine. Your outfit doesn't match perfectly? Who cares. Your laugh is a little weird. Great! Just be yourself. It's WAY more fun to be around you being you... rather than you being someone else.

Get ready for the day. Get up. Shower. Do your hair. Get dressed in clean, nice clothes. Then, whatever you feel like doing, you can do! Go do it! 

Sometimes, it's best to just cry it out. Nothing is too stupid to cry over if you feel like crying. Get those feelings out. Let your pillow soak up those tears and you'll feel much better.

"Whatever you can afford." Oh boy. I hated [HATED] when my parents would say that to me. But, you know what? They were right! Weird. If you want it, go buy it then. Oh, you don't have the money? Looks like you can't have it... Go, get a job, make money, then you can buy it! huh. 

Read. It's good for you! Read anything. Definitely read the scriptures. Read what's going on in the news. Read a good book. Read to a child. Read the back of the movie case. There's a lot of good stuff out there just waiting to fill our brains up!

Give compliments. If you give them, you'll get them back. More importantly, you'll make someone else feel awesome - which is awesome.

Pack light. But, remember the necessities. Packing light does not mean skipping the underwear or the shampoo. Just because you're packing light doesn't mean you don't have to wash your hair! It just means taking one outfit for each day, planning on washing clothes, wearing jeans a couple times over. No biggie. Just skip the picture frames and decorations :)

Don't leave you laundry in the washer overnight - or for days at a time. Oh man. If you're going to to laundry, you have to commit to every load you put in! We forgot about a load once and smelled like wet dogs for the next week! Don't forget about those clothes!

All in all, just use your brain :) People make mistakes. Just learn to laugh at it. Life goes on. If nothing else, it'll make for a good story later.


4 comments:

  1. This was the best post I could have read today, thank you! I loved the "use your imagination" paragraph- "JUST YUH VOICE!" Oh I miss hearing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We raised a pretty wise daughter... very good words to live by. I'm going to try harder to do all those things. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I should print it out and read it each week to help remind me...except for the crying thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I learned most of it from you! Except the crying thing... That, I learned from Lorelai Gilmore :)

    ReplyDelete